Saturday, February 4, 2012

School Friend Play Date

Joshua finally had his first friend from school over. This was kind of weird to me, because I never really had 'play dates' growing up. My husband pushed though. He really wanted Joshua to  have someone his age to play with because Joshua doesn't really have anyone his age that lives around us. So, my husband got all the parents information and I called. 

I sweat buckets the whole time I was on the phone with the mother inviting them to come over. I don't like talking on the phone.. and I really don't like talking on the phone to people I don't know. It was weird and VERY uncomfortable to me. Never again.. thank you.

So, Joshua's classmate, CJ, came over. I didn't know what to do.. I have never hosted a play date and Joshua has never been to one.. so do I provide snacks? Activities?  Ugh! I have no clue and felt like a parental mess. I was NOT prepared for this.

CJ and his mom came over. They played in Joshua's room. Had a snack. Played some more. Ate Lunch and played until his mom decided it was time to go home. They stayed about 3-4 hours total.

His mom was very nice and we sat and talked the whole time. CJ is her third kid, so she has been through this many times... I was the rookie who didn't know what the heck she was doing.... not to mention I was still sweating from nervousness. I felt like a complete dork next to Super Mom. I mean.. my kid was running around the kitchen screaming and I couldn't stop him. Her kid was following what my kid was doing. Great!?! I have the unruly leader kid. Great.

So honestly, I have no idea how it went and what the mom thought. They left quietly after we thanked them a million times for coming over. I have only seen the mother once at school since and she didn't really say much to me... but then again.. she was trying to get two of her three kids into their classrooms.

Who knows?

What I do know.. I will never have another play date with a stranger again.

It's not you.. its me.  I am uncomfortable and I fear rejection as a first time mother.

So, we will stick to school birthday parties and play dates with cousins. Joshua does have like 56 second cousins he can play with... plus its family... so even if it went horribly wrong.. they can't run from me. I will see them at the next family event. We are stuck with each other... mwhaha.

Oh.. I do have a awesome friend that lives a town over... and I haven't seen her in a long time... I should totally bug her next time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment