Friday, September 30, 2011

The Rice Festival

The Rice Festival is one of my favorite memories as a child.

Every year on the first weekend of October, all the farmers get together and celebrate the main crop in our area... Rice.   My great grandfather happened to be the very first president of the festival. My grandfather was president for two years. And my mother has volunteered almost every year to help with the pageants.

So, my family has deep roots in the festivals.

Plus.. my dad is a Rice Farmer.

Very deep roots.

We took Joshua this year and he had a blast riding the rides. It was not as a I remember it though. The food wasn't as good (we don't eat a lot of fried food anymore), the rides weren't as big (where was the zipper ride?), the festival didn't seem to have many shops set up (I needed some retail therapy!). I don't know why, but i felt different. It didn't feel like the exciting festival it use to be.

However, the smiles on Joshua face told me that it was the festival I remember... I am grown up now, but to a child.. this is the happiest place on earth.





We caught up with family, and Joshua was excited to ride the trucks with his cousin Austin.











We saw friends too... Joshua loves Lilly and Olivia. He asks to see them every time we drive to Winnie.






Check out the name of his airplane... John and I laughed so hard about it.  





So, although it wasn't what I remember. I will say that we ended up having a wonderful time, and we will continue to come back every year because this is our family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment