Black Bean and Squash Chili
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 4 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups butternut squash (about 2 lb.), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add bell peppers and jalapeños; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Transfer pepper mixture to slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Arrange squash on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- 3. Season chili with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream, salsa and other accompaniments, if desired.
Source: All You Magazine